Mauricio came to the U.S. in 1995 as an exchange student from Brazil. During his junior years, Mauricio was ranked in the top 15 nationally in Brazil for singles. In 1997 Mauricio earned a tennis scholarship to play at Columbus State University where he graduated in 2001 with a Bachelor's in Business Administration. During his playing career, he received the following achievements:
- NCAA II Freshman of the Year in 1997.
- Nationally ranked #5 in NCAA Division II Singles in 1998, and ranked #2 in NCAA Division II Doubles in 1999.
- 4-time All-American from 1997-2000.
- “Student-Athlete of the Year” honors at Columbus State University and Peach Belt Conference “Player of the Year” in 2000.
- Inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame at Columbus State University in 2008.
Aside from this college career achievements, Mauricio has also won a National Title at the 5.5 level (with Vanaka) and actively participates in other charity events around the Atlanta area. Mauricio has played exhibitions with Melanie Oudin (2007) and Simona Halep (2011)!
Although Mauricio has a full time job in the corporate world (16 years at SAP), his passion is to help players of all ages do better on the tennis court and try to give back to this sport as much as he has received from it. Mauricio has been teaching part-time for over 8 years.
Mauricio lives in the Crooked Creek Community. His wife Gaby is a middle school math teacher. They have 2 children, Gustavo and Isabella, both avid tennis players.